Access the LGA Members' Section
- Promote the continuing education of local government attorneys in matters of common interest. LGA has been approved as an Accredited Sponsor by the MCLE Board of the Virginia State Bar since 1986.
- Provide a forum through which members can exchange ideas and professional experiences of importance to local government attorneys.
There are currently four different categories of membership in the LGA:
(1) Cities, counties, towns, and school districts of Virginia, which are represented by their civil legal counsel; and
(2) Virginia Municipal League and the Virginia Association of Counties, which are represented by their respective civil legal counsel.
(1) The Commonwealth of Virginia, represented by the Attorney General or his/her designee.
(2) Other local or regional government entities and departments of local government, or entities concerned with municipal law, who are represented by their attorneys; and
(3) Attorneys who engage in a practice specializing in one or more facets of municipal law.
An attorney who was formerly engaged or employed on a sustained basis to represent one or more cities, counties, or towns, who wishes to maintain an affiliation with the LGA, and, if employed, whose employer, business, firm, agency, or practice is not eligible to be an active or associate member. The LGA board of directors may, on a case-by-case basis, allow a person who does not meet this definition to maintain an individual membership
A state court judge or federal judge in Virginia.
Download a printable judicial membership application.
Membership in the LGA coincides with the LGA’s fiscal year, September 1 through August 31. In the latter part of August, LGA automatically sends all previous year’s members an invoice for the coming year. If you have any questions regarding LGA membership and/or invoices, please contact the administrative director.