The Institute is charged with delivering and brokering programs and services to Virginia's local governments in three main areas:
- education and leadership development for elected and appointed officials;
- technical data, information banks, and data bases on local government statistics, operations, and trends;
- information and applied research on various aspects of local government.
The Institute believes that our government organizations must operate within a learning environment that fosters full participation and a strong sense of community. Therefore, to achieve its purposes, the Institute pursues strategies that:
- offer a forum for local officials to discuss issues of mutual interest, best practices, and ways jointly to address problems;
- encourage short-term and long-term planning and vision-setting;
- develop approaches to managing organizational change; and
- use state-of-the-art information and communications technologies to promote citizen understanding of government.